Monday, December 12, 2011

Holy sickness, Batman!

WOW, that was a fun last 48 hours.  Woke up feeling awful and made it to the bathroom before getting to visit with my lovely dinner from the night before.  Yay.  I have no idea how long I was in there.  It felt like ages.  Made it to the kitchen once I was sure I was all done with the pukey fun, and grabbed a bowl to have by my bed, just in case.  Fell back asleep.  Woke again 2 hours later, feeling the same way.  Great.  So much for work.  Crap.  I'm one of two closers and it's one of the busiest days of the week.  Better call fast so they can shuffle things around and cover the shift...  Tried calling twice, no answer either time.  It was in the cards for me to not call, but sitting up was too much effort...  so I called again.

I always hate calling out of work.  It's not that I super duper love my day job, because all jobs have their moments (both good and bad), but it's a small department, and we depend on every single person being there on time every day and staying for their full shifts.  Sometimes coming in early or staying late to help out.  I'd actually offered, day before, to come in early if they needed me.  And here I was calling out sick.

That being said, I never ever ever call out of work unless I have no other choice.  I'm in bed sick and cannot move.  That's about it.  And I don't get sick like that very often.  Once or twice a year, give or take.  It's really not bad at all, when you add it all up.  But I always feel bad calling out, regardless.  Calling in, calling out...  I always felt "calling out" was a more appropriate term since you're calling to get OUT of work.  Anyway.

So I got to spend the day in bed, achy, awful, rolling over constantly, trying to get comfortable....  but of course, nothing is comfortable.  But in bed I stayed.  Watched Dr. Who as my husband (who called off work to babysit me and make sure kids were taken care of...  I was in no state to be the only parent in charge) pressed the "play" button for me on the computer.  Thank goodness for Netflix!  When we got bored with the Doctor, we switched to Eureka.  I slept most of the day away.  I think I was awake for 5 or 6 hours the whole day?  Texted with the boss lady later that night, still had a fever and could barely sit up still, so even if my fever was gone in the morning, there was no way I was going to make it in and be at all helpful.

Called out again this morning, officially, even though she'd known 12 hours in advance (tried to give time to find a replacement opener for my shift today)...  and fell back asleep.  Kids got ready for school, I managed enough energy to make their lunches and send them off with "in case I fall asleep when it's time for you to get out of school" instructions, and managed enough more energy to make myself a bowl of oatmeal and a little pot of tea.  No, coffee, not today.  I'll see you again tomorrow.  Maybe.  If you're lucky.

Anyway.  Being sick sucks.  I had such big plans for my morning off yesterday, finishing up my Scrivener stuff (which is ultra awesome!) and moving a project or three into the lovely program to adjust and fix up and all that...  But no.  No.  I was stuck in bed, barely enough energy or desire to play Trainyard on the iPad (2) or hop on facebook on my phone.  I did hop on long enough to say being sick sucks.  And later I said hopefully that I would someday leave my bed again.  LOL

Mostly a random post.  Bemoaning being ill and the lack of productivity it causes.  Boo, being sick.  'Tis the season!  I still am not sure if it was a flu that's going around at work or if it was food poisoning from the baked potato I got from a restaurant the night before...  but whatever it was, it can go right to hell.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may use html tags to post links, if you like! HTML code help, if you need it.